On Tuesday 19 October 2010 22:51:13 fabrice wrote:
> Le mardi 19 octobre 2010 22:15:18, Andreas Jaeger a écrit :

> > > Ping-pong again - any promo peeps going to the conference, please add
> > > your name at the bottom of this piratepad please. There's a bunch of
> > > tasks and I'd love to know if and for what you are available. Most
> > > notable tasks - someone who is responsible for twitter and such;
> > > someone to make pictures we can use in articles; and people who can
> > > take some notes on cool things which are happening for articles.
> > >
> > > Who's up for it?
> >
> > Seems it's only you and me ;-(.  I'll try to load my press kit tomorrow
> > on my bike ;)
> >
> > So, will anybody besides the two of us attend the marketing bof on
> > Thursday?
> > http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Marketing_BOF_2010
> >
> > Andreas
>
> Hello,
>  i have a question but not sure if i's on topic or not , as i saw that Bof
> meant "Informal discussion meetings" this might fit in : i recently had an
> internet provider change and thus no possibilty to refresh and upgrade my
> 11.3 opensuse desktop since 1 month. After using #zypper ref && zypper up
> from init 3 i had some cheksum problems with 2 packages. I notice that
> this kind of problem frequently appears . - The choice given is to abort,
> retry or ignore. Why is ignore offered when i might break some unknown
> dependencies ? i wrongly chose to ignore python-sip and i ended up with a

Please file a bug report for this - or ask on the factory mailint list.
Marketing mailing list is the wrong point.

> broken suse (kdeinit4 would not start anymore). - The fact that checksum
> went wrong stopped my upgrade and as i did not want to break things so i
> stopped completely the upgrade and dis not know what to do...untill i
> looked at the zypper man and found the zypper cc possibility to clear
> cache ; which did the trick and allowed me to refresh my repositories and
> upgrade all 254 packages (a bit less after a few trials).

>  Well, this kind of thing is certainly happening a lot of time in many
> homes and workplaces. As clearing cache solved it all i was wondering why

It should not - we had a hardware failure and that was the result.  IF this
still occurs, please tell me off-list with details of package name and mirror.

> is this kind of error (wrong checksum) -or any error linked with a wrong
> cache- not automatically followed by a zypper cc command to clear cache
> and follow up ? May be it's already know and on tracks but i'm sure there
> would be plenty of interesting things to do automatically to improve
> zypper solving/upgrading even more (and zypper is already Excellent!).NB :
> i know cache is usually the place that is not cleared often, but sometimes
> it helps a lot ;)

Andreas--
 Andreas Jaeger, Program Manager openSUSE,  a...@{novell.com,opensuse.org}
    Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany