Inkscape, Gimp and a program called Artrage that I have on my mac.
It's a nice little program with a realistic interface - you can pin
references around your work just like you would in real life. Oh also
I found an online SVG 'translator' to vectorize my drawing

http://www.roitsystems.com/cgi-bin/autotrace/tracer.pl

However I am *so* not a designer - I mostly use pencil and watercolor.
So a bit of a learning curve. Also my work is usually a naturalistic
look, not the crisp cartoon style that we use for illustration.

I don't know how it got from "I'll take a look and see if I can come
up with something" to "Helen assures me she's all over it...."

I'm thinking of doing some photo-editing instead, there's a few nice
public domain images which will look good with a green background.

However I keep hoping Robert will wave a magic wand....

(meanwhile trying to get my drivers sorted on the desktop so I can
actually apply some processing power....)

cheers

Helen

>>> http://amb.opensuse.gr
>>> http://own.opensuse.gr