Hi All,

A week ago I decided to run a little survey of attendees at the
recent LCA2011 conference in Brisbane, Australia, to try to get
a vague idea of how many use openSUSE.  The original post is at:

  http://lists.followtheflow.org/pipermail/chat/2011-February/002002.html

Here's the results (I suspect the number of members of the LCA2011
chat list is less than half the number of conference attendees,
though possibly not by much).

There were a total of 15 respondents.  This list currently has 322
subscribers (possibly one or two more at the time the survey went
out), so that's about 4.6% of people who responded.  Note that I
assumed the survey would be skewed towards possibly being ignored
by non-SUSE users, given its nature.

Total numbers are as follows.  Excepting location, figures for
each question come to more than 15, due to multiple answers being
provided:

1) I live in:
   [12] Australia
   [ 2] New Zealand
   [ 1] Somewhere else

2) I regularly use:
   [ 7] openSUSE
   [ 5] SLES/SLED etc.
   [11] Anything else (i.e. a non-SUSE-based distro).

   [ 2] nominated Fedora as their "Anything else"

3) I use a SUSE-based distro because:
   [ 7] I like it.
   [ 5] My employer makes me do it.
   [ 6] WTF?  I answered "Anything else" above.  Give me a break.

   [ 1] "It has the best professional support currently available
        on the market" (added by one respondent)

Perhaps unsurprisingly, there appears to be some rough correlation
between:

  openSUSE  -- I like it (6)
  SLES/SLED -- My employer makes me do it (4)

There is also some small overlap between the "like it" and the
"employer makes me do it" set (3).

Also:

  - 4 respondents use something SUSE-based, *and* other distro(s).
  - 6 respondents don't use a SUSE-based distro at all (in case
    it wasn't obvious from the "WTF" answer above).

Hope that was all somewhat interesting.

Regards,

Tim

--
Tim Serong <tser...@novell.com>
Senior Clustering Engineer, OPS Engineering, Novell Inc.