On IRC I saw Pascal Bleser and master Bryen talk about webpin2... Pretty
cool! I wonder if there is any update on it? I think it's worth a nice
article on omgsuse.com!

If you think so, I attached a start for the webpin2 part which needs the
latest status from Pascal and otherwise is just based on Pascal's
awesome blogs about it and some searching & contemplating of mine :D

Who's up for kicking Pascal to add his latest insights and gving this to
Tyler to put on omgSUSE.com?

And then continueing on this path, finding another cool openSUSE thing?

Love,
Jos
Find your application or library in a whiff

The openSUSE community offers a huge selection updated or special versions of
applications, libraries and tools in a variety of locations. This poses unique
problems for openSUSE: <em>finding</em> the packages can be difficult. Luckily,
there is a solution: <a
href="http://packages.opensuse-community.org/";>webpin</a>. And a newer, faster
version is being developed!

openSUSE has been growing a lot recently. The <a
href="http://build.opensuse.org/";>openSUSE Build Service</a> allow anyone with
a web browser to use the beefy openSUSE infrastructure to build packages for a
variety of distributions. As you can see in the statistics on <a
href="http://build.opensuse.org/monitor";>build.opensuse.org</a>, the number of
repositories and packages is staggering with over 120.000 packages in 30.000
repositories. Webpin used to rely on MySQL for its database. But with well over
27.000 users and the build service basically busy 24/7, churning out new
packages at an epic rate, MySQL could not keep up. As was mentioned in <a
href="http://omgsuse.com/content/sharing-opensuse-world-mirrorbrain";>an earlier
article on OMGSUSE.com</a>, the openSUSE mirrors update incredibly fast. Where
for other linux distributions, release day is a big day, for the openSUSE
server infrastructure it is merely a 3-5 requests-per-second blip on the radar
- among the 300-500 requests that come in due to the openSUSE Build Service.
New packages are pushed out <a
href="http://omgsuse.com/content/sharing-opensuse-world-mirrorbrain";><em>more
than once per minute</em></a>, you need something special to keep track of what
is going on.

openSUSE developer Pascal Bleser <a
href="http://dev-loki.blogspot.com/2010/08/opensuse-package-index-and-search.html";>found
 that something in Apache solr</a>. He has been busily writing a REST interface
for the <a href="http://software.opensuse.org/search?q=webpin";>command line and
graphical version of webpin</a> and working on an update to the web interface
on <a
href="http://packages.opensuse-community.org/";>packages.opensuse-community.org</a>.

We had a short chat with him about the latest status of Webpin2.

Hi Pascal! It has been a while since <a
href="http://dev-loki.blogspot.com/2010/08/opensuse-package-index-and-search.html";>you
 blogged about webpin2</a>. Any progress since then?

So what does this mean, will webpin2 make it in the upcoming version of
openSUSE?

Where can people get it to test, if anywhere? Will it eat babies?

So how can people help get webpin2 moving?
blabla git merge request http://gitorious.net/opensuse/webpin2 blabla