On Sat, 2011-09-24 at 14:42 +0200, Jos Poortvliet wrote:

> I do think it's a good idea to have a close etherpad. The problem
> right now is
> that none of the 'free' etherpads out there are very stable - they are
> down
> quite frequently. Ideally I'd like to have our own etherpad install.
> There is
> an openFATE request for that: https://features.opensuse.org/310652
>
> There are some packages now but afaik it's a bit complicated to get it
> up and
> running. If you want you could check the packages, see if they install
> and
> work on an openSUSE system and then talk to Darix or so to get an
> etherpad up
> and running somewhere... You willing to do that?

Agreed, Yaloki tried an instance earlier this year on openSUSE-Community
and it just wasn't stable.   I'm not sure of the technical reasons why.

Also, the other thing to think about is that if its not properly
organized, then we'd run into essentially the same mess we have now on
the public pad sites.  As multiple teams start adding stuff to a single
instance, things will get convoluted.    James suggested possibly
creating an instance for each team.   I don't know how the Server Gods
will like that, but from my perspective, it is a reasonable solution.

As for a "closed" pad, I don't think I'm too wild about that idea.   I
think there are some nice advantages to it (such as embargoed articles),
but it also requires additional administrative overhead which I've had
to deal with on the several closed pads I manage these days.  I think it
should be an open per-team instance installation.  We want contributors
to be able to write things up on the fly without waiting for someone to
give them rights to log in.

But in any case, let's start making a serious attempt to push for a
solution here.  We have to find a way to end the proliferation madness
without letting it impede our work.  And pads have definitely proven to
be a valuable tool for us to do our jobs.

Bryen