On Mon, 2012-02-06 at 22:50 +0100, Pascal Bleser wrote:

> > Several efforts lately I have done have been stymied by the lack of a
> > stable doc collaboration tool.  Some people suggest Google Apps, but
> > umm... meh.
>
> Well, just someone with a google account and using google docs
> (you don't need a google account nor logging in if it is shared
> as "anyone with the link can edit", which is the same level of
> (lack of) security as we have with etherpads ;))
>
> But you do need a google account to create such a document.

Google does indeed offer the most logical choice for us, although I see
a proliferation issue with using so many different accounts.  (More
inconvenience than anything else.)  But my only real concern is the
"purists."  There are people who disdain the use of non-fully open
sourced services and some will balk at using Google.  I'm certainly not
a purist, but... I do respect their stances and would like to see us use
a tool that doesn't inflict on some political ideologies.    That said,
we simply don't seem to have any logical alternative until someone
creates a more stable pad service, I guess.

Not to mention that Google Docs is glaringly known in the blind
community for not being an accessible service.

> > Thoughts?
>
> Hosting our own has been declined by darix because it is not
> packaged as an RPM (doing so is very painful AFAICR). We could
> bypass the hosting team at SUSE and host it on opensu.se instead
> but then again, I don't think that it would be more stable
> running on our own infrastructure, it's more probably a bunch of
> flaws in the software itself.

I recall you doing a test implementation last year and it was woefully
unstable.  Would it be worth running another test with the latest
version of etherpad-lite and seeing if its any better now?

Just to reiterate, the ietherpad "permanent" outage hurt a lot of people
out there.  There was no backup service included with the site and when
their Amazon EC2 hosted service hit a snag, everyone around the world
lost their documents permanently.  (Lesson learned - We must make backup
copies of everything we store online.)  So, an opensu.se service should
also incorporate some kind of failback/backup method.

> cheers

L'chaim!