On 03/26/2012 03:58 PM, Bryen M Yunashko wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-03-26 at 15:25 +1100, Tim Serong wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> A bit of feedback from my wife upon her seeing the openSUSE 12.1 promo
>> DVDs.  While definitely nicely done, the front says only "FREE Software
>> / openSUSE 12.1", but provides no other indication of exactly what
>> openSUSE is.  Perhaps for 12.2 we could move one of the descriptive
>> paragraphs from the back of the cover to the front.  Possibly this one:
>>
>>   This DVD includes everything you need to get your desktop, laptop or
>>   server up and runing with Linux.  You can also take 12.1 for a test
>>   drive before you install it.  Just boot your computer from this DVD.
>>
>> The idea being to add a little descriptive text to the front, just
>> enough to provide a bit more information/enticement to turn the package
>> over and read more :) but not so much that it's overwhelming.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Tim
>> --
>> Tim Serong
>> Senior Clustering Engineer
>> SUSE
>> tser...@suse.com
>
> That's a valid concern, although admittedly a lot of these PromoDVDs are
> distributed in areas where the openSUSE name is already familiar, such
> as at FOSS events.  So there's less chances of confusion like your wife
> experienced.  Nevertheless, it is a valid concern.

Well, *she* knows what it is - uses it too :)  For a bit more context,
we were discussing the viability/value of, say, leaving a handful with
the local University library, which doesn't really qualify as an event.

> I'm not a fan of the long text you put up there for the front.   The
> front should be more about dazzle.   So maybe a phrase emblazoned
> across, something catchy like:
>
> "A Greener operating System"
>
> Okay that was an extremely corny line, but that was just an example of a
> quick catchy line that also implies what the DVD is for.

Fair enough.  I certainly agree about keeping it reasonably short.

> It's good you bring it up and its worth exploring.  The previous
> releases have had a sort of similar cover concept.   Doesn't hurt to
> shake up the box and come up with a completely different idea/direction.

I don't have any 11.4 DVDs handy, but IIRC we had "Linux for Open Minds"
on the front of that one - maybe it's enough to do that again?

(I wonder what percentage of people know the term "Linux" but not
"operating system" and vice versa...?)

Regards,

Tim