2013/1/15 Jos Poortvliet <j...@opensuse.org>

> Heya all,
>
> Many of you have helped in the last 3-4 releases with writing the 'feature
> guide' or 'product highlights' and release announcements. You know it is not
> an easy task - as a matter of fact, it's a huge amount of work.
>
> With 11.4 and 12.1 we had a reasonably collaborative process, but even then
> we had almost no input from the actual package maintainers (for whom it is
> very easy to record what changes there are in their software). Instead, we
> had to go through long lists of packages, trying to find out what is new.
>
> Obviously, this doesn't really work. I've asked (as usual) if
> maintainers/packagers will add changes in their software to the wiki here:
> https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Major_features
>
> but honestly, I don't really expect that to work very well. I would
> appreciate it if you kick developers you know, it would make a difference.
> If however it again boils down to a handful of people who barely know
> anything about the software having to go through all the packages, we will
> have to change how we work. How - I don't really know.
>
> Maybe we can change the policy on submitting things to Factory, like
> requiring a link to an upstream changelog on major releases or anything.
> Maybe you all have suggestions - ideas on improving this process are really
> welcome.
>
> The most important thing are of course changes really developed by and for
> openSUSE - even those we often miss, like ownCloud integration in openSUSE
> 12.1 (I heard about it 3 days before the release. Doesn't that make you
> cry?). Again - we need a way to find and describe them...
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Jos

Hey Jos, Hello all,

I believe the best way to get the contribution of our
supporters/manteiners/pacakgers would ask them what would be the
easiest way to help us find what's new. Explaining to them that we are
somewhat difficult to get this information they might suggest in how
best to seek except in seeking
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Major_features

I know this should have already been done but maybe a new call to help
us a bit more... We don't want to give an extra task for them, just an
indication of how to look without disrupting their work. Instead we
suggest would be better suggestion coming from them.

Developers make our gold and we will outshine :-D

With a single hint coming now would be helpful. I believe they would do that.

Just a thought,

Izabel