For the library packaging policy as discussed previously this is an
example on how to fix an offending package.  We take the example of
curl, as we have (ick) compat-curl2 and compat-curl3 packages alread,
which is a mess.

Curl currently is split into curl providing the /usr/bin/curl binrary
and the /usr/lib64/libcurl.so.X library and a curl-devel package with
development files.

The library packaging policy forces you to split off a libcurl4 package
with just the libcurl.so.4* shared libraries.

The library packaging policy forces you to rename curl-devel to
either libcurl-devel or libcurl4-devel if you want to support development
with different curl versions.  We choose not to and rename it to
libcurl-devel which will depend on libcurl4 for this version.

For the renaming you need a proper Provides: curl-devel and Obsoletes:
curl-devel dependency for update to work.  The split off of libcurl4
does not require anything special as shared lib requirements will take
care of what is necessary.

[Yes, I've started on the above, no need to do it for curl, but please
consider fixing your package early if you ever had the need to provide
compat-* packages and fix your package the next time you touch it
otherwise]

Thanks,
Richard.

--