Johannes Meixner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Jul 24 18:31 Reinhard Max wrote (shortened):
>> As packages can be downloaded and installed without also downloading
>> the licenses package, people could view this as a license violation.
>
> This is what I am talking about all the time.
> The whole issue is not a technical issue it is a legal issue.
> Are we allowed to remove a license text (or whatever legal stuff)
> form a package and provide it via a totally other package which
> is made from totally other sources?

AFAIK with e.g. GPL v2 this is possible (although not welcome). Yet I
think there are licenses which *must* be included with either binaries
or source (if not both). If this is assumed to be "space saving" it is
IMHO at wrong place (not mentioning that having files like
license-7484ec123119be81a1ab4da3bba47ba9 is a little bit strange).

Best regards
        Petr