Johannes Meixner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Jul 30 17:26 Juergen Weigert wrote (shortened):
>> The point in having /usr/share/doc/licenses is that this establishes
>> one single location where all licenses used in a product are visible.
>
> Might this cause confusion for some users when they find out
> that they have many special licenses installed but not the
> software which belongs to those special licenses?

I agree. Moreover I have to say, I'm confused: who should profit from
the licenses.rpm packgage? If this is intended for users it's IMHO
superfluous: to find what license has some package, users will either
use 'rpm -qi' (or equivalent) or go to /usr/share/doc/packages/<pkg>. If
this is because of us as distributors, I really don't see any
significant advantages (if size question is insignificant).

In any case, licenses for not installed products are confusing and I
regard the obligation to install such package a bloat.

> I.e. what about "my installed licenses" versus "all licenses
> which are somewhere used by whatever software in the product"?
>
> (Yes, I know, the obvious technical solution is to check
> to which installed license a symlink points ;-)

Isn't it the same effort as scanning /usr/share/doc/packages for license
files (rather than for symlinks pointing to /usr/share/doc/licenses)?

Best regards
        Petr Cerny