On Wednesday, 22. August 2007, Richard Guenther wrote:

> which is pointless.  Current stable has 959 static libs in /usr/lib
> including "interesting" stuff like libxml++-2.6.a.  All in all 320MB
> worth of static libs.  Ugh.

sorry, forgot to followup: all of those are -devel subpackages, or should be
if they`re not already.

The only thing that matters is if its statically linked in any binary that we
ship. I have some tools to dig that up, and its surprising how many deep
sqlite copies we have (being in one package, not statically linked from the
system package). It would be a lot better overall to work on that instead,
because it makes maintenance easier, reduces the size of the distribution
overall and actually has some benefit for users (aka those that are not
developers).

currently I don`t have rpmlint integration for the code duplication checker
but I guess that would be a very nice feature to have to be able to point out
easily which packages are broken.

Greetings,
Dirk

--