On 8/10/06, Marcus Rueckert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 2006-08-10 13:04:57 +0100, Hugo Costelha wrote:
> I imagined that, but I am sure there is something that can be done to
> have the wiki text correct, right?
>
> This is not a pt versus anyother language discussion. we are talking
> about the Portuguese wiki, so it is expected that it is written in
> Portuguese, it is as simple as that.
> Please do not turn this into a discussion.
>
> And of course, I am here to help any way I can to have everything working
fine.

my points are:
1. do you know why it is like that in mediawiki? if not can you try to
   find out?
2. this is a problem and _has_ to be discussed.
   we want to stay as close as possible to wikipedia, to make it as easy
   as possible to work with our wiki, if you already know wikipedia.

I have to say, that although I made some readings in wikipedia, I am
not an editor of wikipedia itself.

Given what you said, I took a look at wikimedia and wikipedia. In
Wikipedia they group both languages and ask people to detail the
lexical differences whenever they appear (see
http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Boas_vindas_aos_estrangeiros).
If we start everything right from the beggining, there is no need to
mix things. And there is no need of a mix in order to have PT taking
advantage of PT_br and vice-versa. And above all, trust me, the
differences are too much.

Wikimedia itself differenciates PT from PT_br, and it seems that most
of the things are in portuguese, and the ones that are in brazillian
portuguese are being translated to portuguese. So you should not have
problems concerning this matter.

Particularly concerning the "User" word, I advise you to look at the
beggining of
http://svn.wikimedia.org/svnroot/mediawiki/trunk/phase3/languages/MessagesPt.php
. Here they have the following:

----------------------------------> CODE CUT
        NS_USER             => 'Usuário',
        NS_USER_TALK        => 'Usuário_Discussão',
/*
        Above entries are for PT_br. The following entries should
   be used instead. But:

    DO NOT USE THOSE ENTRIES WITHOUT MIGRATING STUFF ON
    WIKIMEDIA WEB SERVERS FIRST !! You will just break a lot
    of links 8-)

        NS_USER             => 'Utilizador', # 2
        NS_USER_TALK        => 'Utilizador_Discussão', # 3
*/

I have not digged it much, but it seems that if we make that change
now, we will better prepared for the future, i.e., we will not have
the same problem that they have, since we still have just a few links
with "Usuário" instead of "Utilizador". If we do not change know, it
will be much more difficult later in the process.

Comments?

Hugo Costelha