On Saturday 10 March 2007 10:47, jdd wrote:

> in addition to what have already be said, I would quote that:
>
> * portal links needs a minimal summary to be usefull. just the link
> have little interest, and this is work, so ideally, there should be
> one admin by portal

I'm trying to get some on:
  http://en.opensuse.org/User:Rajko_m/wip

Now it is in an initial phase, figuring out design that will fit in a
requirement that you mentioned.

> * we need also a "better use openSUSE wiki" page, _and a way to drive
> the users to it_. We need to explain to users they can use they home
> page to keep relevant links. for example, I document any trick I get
> on my wiki page (not all on opensuse, but not anybody have his own
> mediawiki). writing the page is easy (there are already some), making
> users read it is more difficult :-)

I see help to new users of openSUSE wiki as one of essential tasks.
We can write some of applications and procedure manuals, but not all, so time
came to explain procedures on wiki, create templates how to write articles,
content and format:
  http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Help
There is nothing right now, as there was only "delete" remark and I had no
time to finish edit, so I just left info what is comming to prevent deletion,
or another user to use Help as public board.

The goal is to "translate" Wikipedia page, linked there, to suit our needs.
Initial reading reveal that we are missing a lot. I'll leave many links open
for creation, move some pages to openSUSE namespace, etc.

> find info is sometime difficult, but finding for the second time
> something we have forgotten is really awkward :-))

Yes.
That is what one can use bookmarks for and move them from browser to browser.
Though question is how to organize naming structure (tree) in bookmarks to be
able to find right one.

I'm bored to repeat that ODP the "Open Directory Project" http://dmoz.org/ has
some naming tree in function for a quite some time:
 http://dmoz.org/Computers/

I tried to initiate thinking about, but no comments so far.
The selective usage might bring us benefit to find what we are missing.

--
Regards, Rajko.
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal