I note the OpenSuse.org letter is a month old. I shudder to imagine the
meeting times used in review at Novell Corporate. In meantime the real
open community moves on.

You are right to focus on Copyright but it is the whole item
distribution restrictions that affect the credibility of OpenSuse. The
restrictions are absolutely right for Suse professional boxed versions
but not a download.

Certainly bolting in the open community between the Novell and Download
version in this way means Novell could just be after a period of free
development resource. With the current license Novel could easily pull
the plug on the OpenSuse project. The contributions could then be
commercially sold on.

This is all very sad as I (and others?) would be like to contribute
time to this project without these restrictions.

I hope we can see a public response from Adrian soon here.

Berni

Peter Flodin wrote:
This is also a concern of the openSUSE.org website and the wiki.
It is All Rights Reserved and copyright by Novell, including user submissions.
I have raised this as a concern earlier (before I joined this mailing
list), the correspondence is here:
http://www.opensuse.org/User:Pflodo/Open_Letter_to_OpenSUSE_&_Novell

Summary was that it was going to Novell Legal and Adrian Schroeter was
going to let me know of the outcome.

Peter 'Pflodo' Flodin