On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 12:16:01PM +0530, Shriramana Sharma wrote:
> Anyway, how exactly do we know that SUSE has a relatively smaller user
> community? You concede that you don't have numbers, and neither do I. But
> until such stats are available, we can neither claim that SUSE has a small or
> large user base. Isn't that right?

Pascal was not talking about the USER comunity, he was talking about the
comunity from a packager point of view. This means not so much a user
comunity, but more an active comunity.

What I understand he is saying is that there are much less people actively
working in the development of SUSE then there are with RedHat. I can
imagine that to be true. Take away the suse.de people from this list and
not much will be left of people who are really developing things for SUSE.

So I asume he was not so much talking about users, but about people who
realy are contributing and thus forming the openSUSE comunity.

I think the reason for this is that SUSE uptill now always has been a
product and either you liked it or you didn't. People who wanted to
improve things on a distro had more and faster results with e.g. Debian or
RedHat.

Up till now, SUSE thought for the users and the users were merely waiting
for SUSE to deliver another great distro.

This has now changed and I am sure more people will start to participate.
The amount of downloading that is going on shows that there is a huge
interest and although a lot will just try and move on, some will linger
around and change.

houghi
--
Quote correct   (NL) http://www.briachons.org/art/quote/