On Monday 31 October 2005 23:43, Aschwin Marsman wrote:
> I have the following problem:
>
> # rpm -q lame
> lame-3.96.1-pm.1
> lame-3.96.1-pm.1
> # rpm -e lame
> error: "lame" specifies multiple packages
>
> How can I solve this? The smart package manager hangs when trying
> to remove the package and I can't get it deleted on the commandline.
>
> Already did a rpm rebuild db.

Hi Aschwin,

Have you checked to see what shows up in the "Install and Remove
Software" (now "Software Management") module in YaST? I understand it's a GUI
layered on top of rpm, but since rpm is basically a fixed application
relational database management system, sometimes the GUI provides just the
needed "broad view" during forensics... it is simply easier to "browse" the
database in the GUI. Select "Package Groups" in the left pane, scroll to the
bottom and select "zzz all" and all the packages, installed and not, will be
displayed in the right-hand pane. Scroll down to lame and see what's listed.
If there are two, try selecting *both* for removal. That's the best I can do
for tonight. I'll catch up with the list tomorrow and good luck!

regards,

- Carl