Ken Schneider wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 10:18 +0100, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
>> Marcus Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>>> Open a bugreport, assign best to category "Selections" or so.
>>
>> The question is: What can we take down from the distro instead?  I
>> don't want to go to another CD...
>
> To avoid having to add another CD can a question be posed during the
> post install setup to add a YaST repository mirror for these additional
> selections? This way any new SUSE users will have access to additional
> packages without becoming frustrated as to where additional packages can
> be downloaded from. It will be automatically setup for them. Or have
> smart setup automatically during install.

Basically, this would be a great benefit for end users, even more so if you
consider adding some
community repositories (such as packman, mine (suser-guru), and a few others).

We (community packagers) started to discuss this with the SUSE Linux
project/product management but
the discussion showed a few issues, mainly being the fact that some
repositories provide software
that is not legally distributable in any country (most specifically... not in
the US), such as mad,
lame, MPlayer, etc...

The Novell legal dept was to check that but we didn't have any feedback yet,
which is also my own
fault as I didn't ask Adrian about the progress of that task (and god knows
Adrian and AJ have
gazillions of things to do).

Now, back to Thunderbird... Also consider that if you add a package to
maintain, it also includes
support, security fixes, QA cycles, etc... It's not just being on the
installation media, it's also
the full QA cycle packages undergo when being part of the core distribution.

Personally, I'd vote +1 because Thunderbird is one of the major MUAs out there,
most probably used
as much as KMail or Evolution... but also a pain to package and maintain
(similar to Firefox, I
guess ;)).

cheers
- --
  -o) Pascal Bleser     http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/
  /\\ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 _\_v   FOSDEM 2006 -- 25+26 February 2006 in Brussels