It is possible to integrate mailing lists and forums... this is not a binary choice. That way an email to the list shows up under the thread subject in the forum and vice-versa (a post on the forum shoots out to the list...)

I see no reason not to at least mirror these mailing list discussions on a public forum site and let them "live" for others who may not be reading or active now to see later and search... I think it's ridiculous that a forum wasn't up on launch day.

This isn't rocket science - it's how you build communities and support users.