This time I've had serious trouble before I succeeded to install 10.1 beta2 on my multiboot K7 (3 Linux installations and Win2k), finally from burned CDs.

At first, even not actually a problem, but easy to oversee what happends. What is the idea behind the change of the Yast2 partitioning that now by default try to split the last disk partition in two? I wished as for previous 10.0 to install 10.1 beta in one root partition on the same /dev/hda12. But now at each installation attempt, Yast try to remove and split this partition in two smaller partitions /dev/hda12 and /dev/hda13, one for /home and one for root. In my opinion the user should safer do this selection if actual, not Yast by default.

I tried a couple of times to upgrade from 10.0 to 10.1 beta1 using the Internet installation, but the downlad speed was slow and the upgrade installation hung after the first reboot, with a corrupted 10.1 installation as a result.

But even after downloading the 10.1 beta2 CDs, I've run into installation trouble. There were boot messages like
"Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interupt"
"Fatal error inserting Thermal (........)"
"Trans replayed: ....a lot of messages"
I installed a standard KDE selection, with no conflicts, but during the later Yast configuring fonts the installation hung and I had to reboot. Trying a normal KDE login there was almost no interactive response, the menus was available but no application started and the system hung.

A secure boot and command line login was possible however. As my Internet line wasn't found, I corrected the hostname in /etc/hosts. But in addtitin I had to run a couple of Yast repair installation, which told a minimal installation had to be done. After this I added Gnome and more, and now the 10.1 beta2 installation finally looks to work interactive.

I also discoved that Shutdown doesn't Power Off my K7 any more. Is this a bug in 10.1 beta2 or?

As beta3 now is released I tried Yast2 Online Update, but no update was found (only an error message).

Therefore I wonder if there isn't any Online Update possibility from beta2 to beta3, without the need to download and burn the full five new CDs and do an Upgrade installation?

Rgds,
Terje J. Hanssen