Terje J. Hanssen schrieb:
> The initial OpenSuse 10.0 release was the first Suse Linux distro (tried
> Suse 9.0-9.3 Pro and SLES9 before) that has been capable to PowerOff my
> K7 PC using Shutdown. (Win9x/2k and Ubuntu 5.10 managed also this).
>
> But after installing a recommended kernel update for OpenSuse 10.0,
> poweroff didn't work any more. Trying now OpenSuse 10.1 beta2, I notice
> the same. Is the PoweOff function gone?

It always worked for me, but then again, I don't have your hardware.
Could you find out which was the first update kernel for SUSE Linux 10.0
that couldn't poweroff your hardware anymore? This would make it easier
to find the problem.

Once you know the last working and the first non-working kernel, boot
the last working kernel and after boot run
# dmesg >dm1
Then boot the first non-working kernel and run
# dmesg >dm2
# diff -u dm1 dm2
That diff will probably show the reason for the poweroff failure.

Side note: Could you add acpi=force to your kernel parameters? I have
a strong suspicion that this will fix it.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel
--
http://www.hailfinger.org/