Terje,

On Saturday 11 February 2006 13:02, Terje J. Hanssen wrote:

> When replying to the list, I use to copy text from the Mozilla
> browser window and "Paste as Quotation" into the Mozilla Mail
> Composer body window.

Not a good idea, but you know that. It's why you're writing.

> Using "Re:" before the Subject, the reply gets One single Indent on
> the mailing list (archieve).
> But using this method, how is it possible to force two or three
> indents as a tree structure when needed?

While not impossible, it won't be easy. This hierarchical display of
messages and their replies is done by the browser (or by the web
software that presents the email archives) based on the "In-Reply-To:"
and "Message-ID:" message headers.

If you can inject the proper In-Reply-To header into the outgoing
message header, somehow, you'll get the proper effect in recipients'
mail clients (the thread-aware ones, anyway). But you must know that
putting lines of text that mimic those headers at the top of your
message composer window _will not_ make them headers of the message.

I'm sure there are mail clients that give you control of the headers in
various ways (beyond the obvious To: and Subject:, etc.), but I'm
unaware of them.

Why don't you just subscribe and end the hassle both to you and to those
who must read mailing lists where some replies are disconnected from
their threads? The amount of disk space taken up by even the most
active lists is a trifle by today's standards. Keep only as much
history as you like (a week, a month, a year, whatever).

> Rgds,
> Terje J. Hanssen

Randall Schulz