Eric Burke wrote:

Just wondering if it is me, or if there is a reason why the 10.1 beta
install time is greater then 12 hours from the CD's? I credit this to the
faulty font config packages mentioned elsewhere, as I noticed during the
install it seemed to freeze during font installations. My concern after
this is even after replacing the font config packages once the system is up
and running, the boot on the system is extremely slow and the OS is
sluggish enough to be unusable at all. My system is no slug, and Suse 10.0 runs fine on it as do other distros. Any ideas why this might be? My system is an AMD Athlon 2400, 1 GB RAM, swap configured for 1GB as well.

My experiences are also serious trouble to get the 10.1 beta2 properly installed. My hardware is an older K7, 512 MB RAM and a 5,8 GB disk slice for / and 1 GB for swap. It has worked and works well since long time with Suse 9.1-9.3 Pro, SLES9 (Java Desktop), OpenSuse 10.0 and Ubuntu 5.10; the last three now in a multiboot configuration with Win2k as well.

Already on the 10.1 beta2 intial Partitioning the changes from long time YaST2 installations arised. 10.0 installs streamlined using the 5.8GB single slice mounted as root. (10.1 tries to split this partition in two parititions for / and /home). 10.0 mounts two FAT and two NTFS partitions as /windows/C - F (10.1 doesn't).

At last I've had to drop the 10.1 beta2 and go back and reinstall 10.0 from scratch again. I've tried both Internet and CD installations, upgrades and new installations several times. Most of the times 10.1 looks to freeze somewhere during the installation or during boot up. Suse "font config" is mentioned, but also similar on "Save drivers info" (or similar)
The libidl package would not install.

Once I managed or forced the installation through and was able to logon, the system was sluggish and useless when trying to start any application.

I've noticed boot (error) messages like

"Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interupt"
"Fatal error inserting Thermal (........)"
"Fatal error inserting lib modules 2.6 ...."
"Trans replayed: ....a lot of error message lines follows"

Rgds,
Terje J. hanssen