Pascal Bleser schrieb:

> It's quite simple, actually. Pine is not OpenSource Software.
> It is not by the OSS definition of OSI [1] and hence, it is not OSS.
> The U&W license violates several OSS license criterias of OSI.
> [1] http://opensource.org/

Who says, that the power to define the term "open source" is up to OSI
and not to U&W or you or me? Of course, pine is "open source", because
everybody can have a look into it. That a big part of "other type of
open source" developpers consider the license of pine not sufficient
doesn't change this.

For the actual SUSE question this does not matter, however, as it is up
to SUSE/Novell to decide, which package goes to which CD.

IMO, the reasoning to separate packages to different CDs originally was
the problem of *legally* copying, distributing and using some packages.
This was not possible for e.g. Acrobat Reader. So the separation of
packages on different CDs was a service to the SUSE users.
If nowadays the main concern of Novell/SUSE is to satisfy the needs of
some developpers, who are too lazy to read the license themselves and
therefore believe that everything on the first 5 CDs should be
OSI-compliant "open source", this is just a political decision, which
has to be discussed here. IIRC, some months ago, when the openSUSE
project started, the goal was defined as the most user-friendly
distribution. The last decisions with regard to proprietary drivers and
now the movement of pine to CD6 seem to show, that SUSE is not the most
user-friendly distribution anymore, but the "OSI definition", "GPL
rulez", "kernel policy forever" shouting developpers baby.

*rant off*

So the question is, is the 6th non-OSS-CD defined from a OSI-compliant
perspective, then move pine there. If it should be defined from a user's
possibilities point of view, then you can keep it where it is (except
the pine license also prohibits copying, distributing or using in
special occasions somehow).

Ciao
Siegbert