Hi everyone,

openSUSE has just been accepted at Google Summer of Code 2006!

Quoting http://code.google.com/soc/studentfaq.html:

  1. What is Summer of Code 2006?

     Summer of Code 2006 is a program that offers student developers
     stipends to create new open source programs or to help currently
     established projects. Google will be working with a variety of open
     source, free software, and technology-related groups to identify and
     fund several hundred projects over a three-month period. The
     inaugural instance of the program, which took place last summer,
     brought together 400 students and 40 mentoring organizations from 49
     countries. We'd like to include even more organizations and
     participants this year.

     The program's goals are to inspire young developers and provide
     students in Computer Science and related fields the opportunity to do
     work related to their academic pursuits during the summer, and to
     support existing open source projects and organizations. Since we're
     looking to find developers around the world (many of whom may have
     considered creating open source software but havent yet taken the
     plunge), we felt that concentrating on the student population was a
     good place to focus our efforts. Further, since no single
     organization could possibly mentor hundreds of students working on
     disparate projects, we thought it made sense to spread the work
     throughout the open source and free software community. We also think
     that the Apache Software Foundation (for instance) knows a lot more
     about what an Apache project needs than Google does and is more
     likely to ensure that an applicant gets the right kind of guidance so
     they can create acceptable code.

  2. When can I apply for Summer of Code 2006?

     You can apply starting on May 1, 2006.

  [...]

We are now looking for ideas, proposals, projects, etc. around openSUSE
and SUSE Linux, that could be worked on in Google Summer of Code. As the
period of application for SoC is already very short, we need to get our
proposals for project online May 1st, 2006, at the latest.

So, for example, if you are missing a certain YaST module, or a special
feature in the distribution, speak up now!

Our proposals will be publish on http://en.opensuse.org/SoC2006 shortly.

Regards
        Christoph