I think this is a better solution that JDD has proposed.

Houghi gets all upset when valid constructive criticism is made, insisting he is right, makes demands that all correspondence be directly on this list, etc.

This list is getting too large for fairly effective self-policing (as well as others). JDD seems to have some good qualifications for being a moderator.

Who at Novell would be contacted about this?

And I agree with 3 - someone having a full signature AND posting EVERY time they see an infraction is getting very old.

RP

jdd wrote:

I don't think changing the list could do any good, people will write anyway (or steal the others openSUSE lists).

solutions: (?)

1) On this respect, a news group is much more adequate.

on a news group, it's easy for a moderator to cancel early offending messages before it go to most user, it's also easy to anybody to correct an error

on a mailing list, any OT thread can go on any long time. on a news group, it's easy to kill it.

I'm ready to be part of any moderator group.

2) May be also if the long awaited forum went up, it could receive most of this unwanted traffic. I don't know if it's easy to moderate such a forum (I own one but has never to cancel anything)

Please, don't start a new flame on the news/forum subject. I want only to mention them to see if this could a solution to the very problem mentionned here.

3) anyway, there are not so many oddening posts, may be we can live with them :-)

4) we could make the subscription to the mailing list moderated. A mail from the moderator to the new member about the non technical subject could have an effect and it could be possible to ban any offending people.

jdd