On Sunday 04 June 2006 07:15, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> My god. What does "the community" need to discuss that's not what it's
> working on? Is this some kind of social club? Please give me some
> examples of non-technical, non-product issues that are pertinent topics
> of discussion in your conception of this list's charter.

Is SUSE Linux open enough? What is the scope for contribution to SUSE Linux by
non Novell or SUSE employees? To what extent has the openSUSE.org or the
openSUSE project/website/wiki contributed to the adoption of SUSE Linux? Are
aspects of SUSE Linux being adversely affected by opening the development
process or should it be more open? At what point does the interests of the
wider SUSE community and users conflict with the business interests of
Novell/SUSE?

> SuSE Linux is a technology project. If anything is off-topic, it's the
> non-technical.

Correct SUSE Linux is a technical product, and there is already a list for
technical questions about SUSE Linux so in fact technical questions on this
list are offtopic.

**** SUSE Linux != openSUSE.org ****

> What are these things? What is openSUSE that is not also SuSE Linux? You
> steadfastly refuse to suggest to me what they might be. The only thing
> I can think of that would be off-topic here (besides non-technical
> issues, of course) is non-open-source software, which is strictly in
> the commercial Novell / SuSE Linux release.

You seem to be getting confused between an actual product/distro/release and a
community project. If you really don't understand the concept of 'community
project' then *shrug*

> No. I certainly do not. SuSE Linux is a technology project. There's
> nothing else to discuss and I think that's made pretty clear by the
> fact that people keep coming here with technical questions. Sadly,
> they're now just handed copy and after copy of some boilerplate telling
> them to go somewhere else.

Again, SUSE Linux IS NOT THE SAME THING as openSUSE

> Unless and until you can get specific about what non-technical issues
> you think this list should be used for, then I see no need for this
> list at all. Repeating "community issues" over and over does not answer
> the question.

If you cannot think of any non technical issues then what business do you have
posting here and flaming others? Just because *you* see no need for this list
doesn't mean that the need does not exist. If you cannot understand the
concept of a community project, or you do not wish to participate in the
openSUSE communitiy project you could at least respect the wishes of those
that do.

Cheers
Graham