Martin Schlander wrote:
Tirsdag 06 juni 2006 02:26 skrev Rajko M:
It was just list of words that will make lesser confusion, and in the
mean time I backed up proposal by Martin Schlander,

Move function of - to:
opensuse-users@ -> opensuse-help
opensuse@ -> opensuse-project

with addition to keep bare "opensuse" for newbies, as it seems they like
it :-)

I've been thinking some more about this. I don't think we should "support" the misconception that opensuse is a distro, how about:

opensuse-users@ -> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Martin / cb400f

I was thinking how came to heated discussion on this topic, and more I think, it seems that we have to listen people, not the other way around.

We want:
- new users
- organized way to help them
- no naming confusion

Users logic to select plain "opensuse" list is clear to me. If one looks for Fedora help subscribes to "fedora" not "redhat" mailing list. The problem is that we insist on naming openSUSE for community, and SUSE Linux for distribution. Fedora has not that problem.

How to solve SUSE naming is up to Novell. Official it is SUSE Linux, on FTP in opensuse directory is SL-10.0-OSS, than SL-10.1, than SL-OSS-factory, and there is unofficial shortcut openSUSE (Linux).

As someone mentioned opensuse-help will confuse experienced mail list users, so we have to give up on that. Probably opensuse-support will win the race, but most new users follow common logic that product found in opensuse directory, that links from opensuse.org, should be supported on opensuse mailing list. I don't see anything wrong to leave opensuse for the broadest range of topics, from technical to social, and create as you proposed opensuse-project for discussion about project.
It is easier to move few of us than the whole world.

Demand to close the list is irrational, effectively you lock the door that most people will try to knock on.

I really don't understand what is wrong to decrease load on suse-linux-e (>100 mails a day). I don't find amusing to browse trough that amount of mails, and newcomers will be even more overhelmed with the number.

We have to leave opensuse list as refuge for them. The chance that they will find installation topics of their interest is bigger. People ready to help them will have easier task to deal with basic installaton problems.

Complain that someone will miss some interesting article because it is in another group is at least funny. Time used to repel inappropriate posters from here, could be used to find appropriate article in another list, and point new user to exact solution of his/her problem.

BTW, I have to see for some blog place where I can put my rant in :-)

--
Regards,
Rajko.