Martin Schlander wrote:

Onsdag 02 august 2006 16:37 skrev SOTL:
Any way these are some thoughts on why SuSE is going the route of Red Hat.

I've made similar points to the article before: that having a good home-user
A major issue is calling individual computer users home-users. The relevant people are corporate executives not teen agers setting at home.

product is strategically important to get into the enterprise. And that is the reason why Mark Shuttleworth has invested in shipping cds all over the place (I think there must be more doo-doo-brown Ubuntu cds than there are computers on this planet).

However I agree with the decision by Novell concerning binary-only kernel-modules - and before long Ubuntu will probably (hopefully) be forced to make the same decision.

I think you're way too fast with claims of SUSE going the Red Hat route. Most of us agree that 10.1 has been horrific all in all. But this is only _one_ release.

Why is 10.1 bad? It should have been an improvement on 10.0. It was not.
Based on this why should one assume that 10.2 will be an improvement on 10.0 or even 10.1? I do not. My assumption is that 10.2 will be a bigger disaster than 10.1 is simply because developers are not interested in correcting the problems with 10.1 but are interested in having the latest woom zoom packages and features which then will not install.

Yesterday I attempted to upgrade a OpenSuSE 10.1 beta 8 working installation to SuSE 10.1 only to have the system crash because packages were deleted from SuSE 10.1 that were in OpenSuSE 10.1 beta 8. I then did a reinstall and found since I am not in the old office with a DSL line (we should have DSL next week) that a US Robotics 52v PCI internal modem which my Red Hat 6.0 distribution installed correctly is now some 7 or is it 10 years later unsupported. One step forward two steps backward and the dance goes on.

Wait and see if 10.2 won't be the greatest distro - or should we say the greatest OS - ever.. It has all the possibility in the world to become so. If 10.2 is screwed up too _then_ we have a problem.

Dreamer

And look at the 10.1 problems - apart from the kernel module decision - all the problems had one reason: (testing for) SLED. Fortunately SLED has a two year release cycle and thus won't screw up our distro again - at least for a while.

Give (open)SUSE the benefit of the doubt - at least until 10.2 - and I'm sure you'll see your conclusions are wrong.

Martin / cb400f