Hello community, hello Tatsuhiro !

> I just downloaded and installed version 10.1 on my MacBook Pro using
> Parallels. It took hours, huge distro! I even patched it and everything.
> However, I can't authenticate as root to change display resolutions,
> etc. I don't remember entering a root password when installing and can't
> find a setting for it. I just have one account called locadmin. The
> password for that account doesn't work. I am missing something very
> obvious, but am not seeing it. Please help.

AFAIK there is *no* default password for the root account ...

Have you tried an empty string (i.e. the enter key) only ... ?

Well, I don't know if there is a special version for your hardware, but
during the installation process you had been prompted for a password for
the root account for sure !

This happens right after all packages had been installed and the first
restart of the system occured. Question is if all went well during the
installation process, and realy all packages had been installed ...

One solution could be to boot of the installation media again choosing
"rescue system". This will launch a text mode only live system. Here you
 need to identify and mount the "/"-partition of your SUSE installation.

For a plain vanilla installation on an ordinary PC this would be
something like /dev/hda1, but for MacBooks I have no glue. I guess you
installed SUSE in parallel to an existing MacOS system, right ? In this
case I recommend to check the partition table using the fdisk command.
Try "fdisk /dev/<your-harddisk-device>" where <your-harddisk-device>
could be one of the following (more options possible but most likely one
out of these):

"hda" 1st IDE hard disk
"hdb" 2nd IDE hard disk
"sda" 1st SCSI hard disk

When prompted use 'p' for displaying the partition table and look for a
partition of approx. 20 GB and partition type '83'. This might be the
root partition of your SUSE installation. There might be another
partition of type '83'. This could be the "/home"-partition of your SUSE
installation. All the above is based on the assumption that you did not
change any of the settings of a default installation. As written already
I have no xperiences with installations on a MacBook.

If you identified your "/"-partition you need to mount this device by
"mount /dev/<your-SUSE-root-device> /mnt". You should check the contents
of the newly mounted partition by issuing "ls /mnt". If you find entries
like "boot", "bin", "lib", "usr", "var" you should check "ls /mnt/boot"
for entries beginning with "vmlinuz". If you can find "vmlinuz" entries
you finally found the "/" partition. If you can't find any "vmlinuz"
related file you might need to look for another partition ...

If you found the "/"-partition you need to try to "chroot /mnt". If you
are not prompted for a password you are through. You now need to set a
password by issuing "passwd".

If you can't set the root password that way you might think another
installation run. If you will not be asked for a password for user
"root" during that installation run you should file a bug report in SUSE
bugzilla. Details can be found under
http://en.opensuse.org/Submitting_Bug_Reports

HTH
--
Never give up !

Best regards, Reinhard.

"Software is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."