The Friday 2006-11-03 at 14:27 -0400, James Oakley wrote:

> > Is that a script to save flash streams to a file? I tried it on the Novell
> > webcast and it doesn't work.
>
> What's the URL?

Let me see. The main page is
<http://www.novell.com/linux/microsoft/webcast.html>. From there, there
are two links:

  Flash: http://www.novell.com/linux/microsoft/flash_stream.html
  WMP:
http://metahost.origindigital.com/microsoft/20061102/ms_announcement_20061102_100.asx

> If the src is specified through a javascript function, the script won't be
> able to download it, since it doesn't include a javascript interpreter. :-)
>
> If the video is in a popup and not the url you pass it, you need to use the
> popup url. You can right-click and show the location bar to get it.

Let me try again. The flash link (novell) opens a flash pop up, that says
buffering 38% and doesn't ever reach 100%. It is overloaded. Right click
shows me a "settings" a menu and "about macromedia flash 7". I can not see
where it is downloading from, only "transferring files from
files1.novell.com" at the bottom.

The windows media player link works opening xine. This one shows in the
tittle bar the real link, that I have to copy by hand. Or, I can try
Realplayer, that doesn't work, but is saves a handy file in
/tmp/ms_announcement_20061102_100.asx, which I can open with less and see
the real mms:....wmv link. Lets try getvideo with that one:

  IOError: [Errno url error] unknown url type: 'mms'

So... No go. Ideas?

How do I get to know the real link for flash?

[...]

I have forced open the flash in a new firefox window, and in the menu I
select s"how source". It is indeed javascript, and I see two links; I
think it should be this one:

 http://files1.novell.com/cached/video/microsoft/mswebcast.flv

I try "getvideo" with that one, seems to be working, the network usage
goes up, but I don't see any file growing there.

What am I missing?

The Novell webcast is useless. This morning it run interrupted,
unintelligible. This evening it doesn't even run. The one from MS runs
fine even at high definition. One round to them.

My idea was to try save it to a file, an so be able to listen it, with
pauses. Impossible so far.

- --
Cheers,
       Carlos E. R.