On Thursday 16 November 2006 18:47, John Pierce wrote:
> I just got a dell inspiron 9400 core 2 duo and it has windows xp
> installed.  If I shrink the partition and install opensuse will this
> affect the windows xp installation, such as not make it bootable.
        Yes...

        The reason is that Suse's partition shrinking software does not
correctly
support NTFS partitions, and XP is usually preinstalled on an NTFS partition.

        The think you want to do is use another package (Partition Magic) to
shrink
the NTFS partition *first* and then install Suse.

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><