On Thursday 16 November 2006 19:14, John Pierce wrote:
> >         The think you want to do is use another package (Partition Magic)
> > to shrink the NTFS partition *first* and then install Suse.
>
> Ok! I do not own partition magic, are there any reliable foss
> solutions for the problem?
>
> Since I do not have any windows installations I do not want to do away
> with this factory install, I want to tinker with the beast.  I have
> been windows free since 1998.
>
> TIA

Hi John,

the reality is that there is no risk free resizing.

I did many dual boot installations and most of them went perfectly easy for
computers that have only preinstalled windows. The resizing software refuses
to do anything if NTFS doesn't appear clean.

The newest status with Vista is here
http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html#vista

--
Regards,