Darryl Gregorash wrote:

http://en.opensuse.org/Network_Installation_Source

Excellent! I thought I might end up doing something like this. YaST now
starts up, the GUI appears, it 'probes mouse', puts up the rather neat
little clock/hourglass thing, and then freezes after asking the FTP
server for /media.1/installfiles, /media.1/info.txt, /part.info, and
/driverupdate, none of which appear to have been on any of the five
ISOs, and slightly strangely, don't appear to be on those net
installation repositories I've just had a quick look at
(download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-10.1/inst-source/, and
www.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.opensuse.org/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.1/inst-source/).
Hum.

Many thanks for your help. :)

PJ.