Mike Noble wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:
The Saturday 2006-11-25 at 17:37 -0800, Mike Noble wrote:

Actually I hate Postfix and have used Sendmail for over 15 years.
What I was trying to say was that maybe he has them confused.
I did send the OP a direct reply (forgot reply to was not set
to list) telling him make changes to sendmail.
Could you post those changes here, just for the record? Even if I don't use sendmail now, I like to learn. :-)

One of the best places to information about sendmail is to go to:
http://sendmail.org/

I was also hoping for a bit more specific advice. For Postfix the procedure would be:

servername: www
domain:     example.com

as root:
postconf -e "myhostname = www.example.com"
postfix reload

If you've got some strange setup where you don't want to use the hostname as HELO, you can set the helo name of the server with:

postconf -e "smtp_helo_name = mail.example.com"
postfix reload

The default of smtp_helo_name is $myhostname:
# postconf -d smtp_helo_name
smtp_helo_name = $myhostname

So usually it's not neccessary.

I tried to find the information on the sendmail.org site, but didn't find anything useful within a few minutes. Do you have a more specific link for basic Sendmail setup including hostname?

To setup DNS for private address space, you can find at:
http://sendmail.org/tips/private-dns/

Of course private address space was never mentioned, I'm just
assuming that he does not have valid IP and that all internal
IP addresses are being NAT'd to a valid IP address on the internet.

Judging from the hostname "www" that he used he is probably trying to send mail from a webserver using the local Sendmail installation. So he probably has an official IP (and hopefully correctly set up dns and reverse dns).

Sandy
--
List replies only please!