[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
The Saturday 2006-11-25 at 20:47 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:

[pruned]

On Saturday 25 November 2006 21:33, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
It would be basically
grub, then root (hd0,8), then setup (hd0), which should find everything
and install it, the quit to leave grub, exit to leave the chroot, then
shutdown -r now to reboot and check.  HTH.
One more idea, since at least once it appeared you had a problem with
the initrd, while you are in the chroot, you could rerun the mkinitrd
command and make sure it finishes without error.  HTH.

As Joe suggests, rerunning mkinitrd is worth a try based on what you see. After the upgrade to beta1, I ran into a case where the upgrade somehow removed the initrd image completely and had to recreate it. Using the installation disk allowed me to boot the system even with this image missing. If you haven't already done something else that would render this next portion nonapplicable, try the following after booting into the system w/ the installation disk to create a new initrd image:

cd /boot
mv initrd-2.6.18.2-4-default  initrd-2.6.18.2-4-default.notworking.old
Modify "2.6.18.2-4-default" above(10.2 beta2 version) to match your current version which you can view with the output of "uname -a".

rm initrd       (or  mv initrd initrd.notworking.old)

mkinitrd -k vmlinuz-2.6.18.2-4-default -i initrd-2.6.18.2-4-default
(your new initd-2.6.18.2-4 image should now be present)

and/or  for the xen image
mkinitrd -k vmlinuz-2.6.18.2-4-xen -i initrd-2.6.18.2-4-xen

Note that running just 'mkinitrd' with no options will create the default image that matches your current kernel vmlinuz image.

recreate symbolic link(s)
ln -s /boot/initrd-2.6.18.x-y /boot/initrd where "2.6.18.x-y" above is the version number you just created

Verify that the symbolic links named /boot/initrd & /boot/vmlinuz point to matching version numbers .

# ll initrd
 initrd -> initrd-2.6.18.2-4-default

and confirm that this version matches the vmlinuz image version
# ll vmlinuz
 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.6.18.2-4-default

You could also check for matching versions this before rerunning mkinitrd and if they don't match, it might be the problem.

Thanks to you, Joe and to Darryl for your assistance and I ask for some time to digest all that has been suggested because I am finding it just a tad hard going trying to get it all into perspective. I am finding that what I expect to find I am not finding and what I read (eg in the Suse manual) is not as explicit as I would like so it is kinda confusing me.

For example, above you state that doing "uname -a" will give me the current version of the kernel I am using. After a bit of puzzlement I realised (I think!) that when one boots into a 'broken' system using the installation DVD the uname -a command shows the version of the kernel used by the installation DVD to boot into the OS and *not* the actual kernel installed in the OS.

For example, after booting using the 10.1 Installation DVD uname -a shows that the kernel is 2.6.16.13-4 but the kernel now actually in place is 2.6.16.21-0.25 and, of course, initrd etc also have this same (latter) number.

It took a "few" minutes to work out why you said that not using any parameters with the mkinitrd command will create a default image which will match the current kernel - in this case being the old ...16.13-4 kernel which is not what I need.

This of course would explain why booting from the DVD works even though there is a corruption in,say, initird because it is the kernel etc which is on the DVD which is used and until the damage is repaired the OS continues to run on the old kernel etc. At least this is what I make of it :-) .

I'll recreate the initrd as described later today after rereading all that has been stated 'cause I don't want to mess things up even more and have to reinstall not only 10.1 but XP as well even though I only use it once in a blue moon.

Cheers.

--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

Galileo Galilei