On Thursday 30 November 2006 23:17, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Some years ago I wanted a keyboard for a non-IBM computer which had the
> same solidity and tactile feel.  I researched and purchased a Northgate
> keyboard. The base was metal, not plastic, it was heavy, it had the tactile
> feel, and it had two other things I wanted: I could switch the positions of
> the alt and ctrl keys and - using dip switches in the base - tell it which
> keys were which, and it had the function keys down the left side of the
> keyboard and the across the top.
>
> Unfortunately, after many good years of service the keyboard doesn't work
> properly anymore.  I eventually had to place an adapter to go from old
> style keyboard port to ps/2 style keyboard port, but that didn't help.
>
> I would love to get another keyboard like that again for my main desktop
> workstation.

I remember having a Northgate Omnikey for an Amiga 2000.  I kick myself now
for giving the keyboard away with the computer.

These people make a keyboard that appears to be 99.9% physically similar to
the clickity-click Northgate keyboards:
http://www.cvtinc.com/products/keyboards/menu.htm

These people fix the Northgate keyboards if you've managed to break it:
http://www.northgate-keyboard-repair.com/

This company has cables and covers for the Northgate keyboards:
http://www.lueckdatasystems.com/Nehemiah/00000043.html