On Wednesday 06 December 2006 04:55, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 10:40 +0100, Marcus Meissner wrote:

> > Yes. I suspect 80%-90% of the SUSE box manuals never were opened and
> > just discard or burned, which is pretty much a waste.
>
> I wonder... I think people do look. If they find something that they
> think they need to know is something else. Perhaps it is that mostly men
> buy Linux? And, us men are notorious for skipping manuals at all cost.
> But we like for them to be present. So we can boast that we got it
> working without the manuals. Their non-use is a critical part of the
> process. They must be present, if not actually used.

Here, the last Admin book included in the box looks like a dog chewed it.
I've almost never opened any User manual which is still being included in the
box.

Chances are, when you need help the most is when you're trying to figure out
why something is not working -- like internet connectivity, or why the system
doesn't recognize the DVD.  It's very tough to google linux issues when
there's no internet available.  And it's tough to read a manual on the disc
when the drive isn't recognized.  Both have happened here.

Fortunately, I now have the luxury of multiple computers, so I can usually get
information via another method.   I'd still like to see the Admin guide
printed.  In exchange the User Guide could be reduced to a pamphlet, ("SUSE
Startup For Dummies"), or as a big fold-out poster like the ones Dell
includes with their hardware.