I did an install this afternoon, straight install (plus additional packages
that I wanted, no problems, ran great under VMware without even installing the
VMtools.  Did my presentation tonight to the LUG with it running in a VM.  Oh,
I did this using VM Server, the free version, not Workstation but I wouldn't
think that would make a difference.  I did tell it that it in creating the VM
that it was "Other 2.6 Kernel" rather than SuSE.  What version of VM
Workstation are you running?  VMware on Windows or Linux?  Could be hardware
configuration too.

Clint