Sandy Drobic wrote:
Jose wrote:
Sandy Drobic wrote:
Jose wrote:
Hi everybody,

I have two suse 10.1 servers and the target server, is running vsftp, ports 20,21 are open from the firewall, I can ftp into from my desktop computer using command line ftp, but from the other server which also has port 20,21 open, I can login, but if I try to run any command as simple as a dir or ls, I get the following:

227 Entering Passive Mode (129,15,99,44,197,69)
200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
425 Failed to establish connection.

I suspect that your firewall is not ftp aware. Please check that the neccessary iptables modules ip_conntrack_ftp (ip_nat_ftp if you use NAT), ip_conntrack are loaded.

To check disable your firewall and try to ftp. If it works the firewall must be configured to track ftp connections.

I tried it turning off the firewall first on the tagret server, same problem, then I turned off firewall on the client server, same problem, how can I check I have those modules loaded?

lsmod | grep ftp

ip_nat_ftp              2448   0  (unused)
ip_conntrack_ftp        3568   1
iptable_nat 15790 8 [ipt_MASQUERADE ip_nat_quake3 ip_nat_proto_gre ip_nat_pptp ip_nat_mms ip_nat_irc ip_nat_h323 ip_nat_ftp] ip_conntrack 18896 7 [ipt_MASQUERADE ipt_state ip_nat_quake3 ip_conntrack_quake3 ip_nat_pptp ip_conntrack_pptp ip_conntrack_proto_gre ip_nat_mms ip_conntrack_mms ip_nat_irc ip_conntrack_irc ip_nat_h323 ip_conntrack_h323 ip_nat_ftp ip_conntrack_ftp iptable_nat]

Can you use passive ftp on the server itself?

Sandy
Hi Sandy,

No, after I sent las t email, I tried "passive" just after login to the server (turns off passive), and then "epsv" and then it works, I have the firewall of the target server on, and client's firewall is off, and I am able to download the files I need, but I don't think this is a good solution, the target server is actually a Suse10.0 and client is a Suse10.1, don't know if that would be part of the problem.

Tried your command, nothing at all.