Terry Eck wrote:
My HP LaserJet 1012 (USB) printer stopped.
Output from the printer is a single sheet of paper with
"Unsupported Personality: PCL".

Started YaST2's Printer Configuration Tool.

The Initializing Printer Configuration is at the Check database of printers

A small window with the message:
"The list of installed drivers has changed."
"Building database of drivers..."
Shows 4% and has been that way for at least 45 minutes.

I'll wait a couple of hours. The program y2base is using 80-99% of the
CPU with little signs of progress

If anyone can give me a clue as to what to do next
Whilst not the next thing to do to get printing working, looking at linux printing at the link of http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1012 it says your printer is mostly supported ie not full and has some notes you may want to read.

HTH
Hylton