Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> I repeat it again: glxgears is *NOT* an appropriate benchmark.

All information is useful.

We see a repeatable 30% difference, and you say it's meaningless. Pardon me if
I'm skeptical, but you seem too quick to dismiss a result that is clearly
telling us something. I've noticed that without exception, good video hardware
plus good drivers gives high numbers, while low quality video hardware and/or
poorly written drivers gives low numbers.

Feel free to cite an "appropriate" graphics benchmark, and I'll be happy to
run it. Obviously I won't be at all surprised if whatever benchmark you
mention also shows better performance on a 64-bit OS.

>> Being able to move memory around in bigger chunks can really help things like
>> database performance too. *Having* to move data around in bigger chunks might
>> not be as helpful for some scenarios, but I can't think of any. Got a
>> specific
>> example?
>
> Quite all libc functions profit from it, memcpy using rep movsq as a prime
> example.

Yes, that makes sense.

Joe