Hey,
>> So, has anyone of you some hints what to try next to get connected ?
>> P.S. as far as I know there are no other transmitters in that band
>> (2.4GHz ?) at home.
> Do you have a cordless phone?
>
> A lot of them are in that band and will interfere. We had to buy a new
> cordless in a higher band.

Yes, DECT should use the band from 1880 MHz to 1900 MHz, but ETSI allows
2400–2480 MHz which can cause trouble. If your wlan router and your wlan
cards allows you to choose channel 14 (normally available in Japan) then
you have a good chance that they are not overlapping. I'm not sure if
this helps, but you can also adjust the burst-rate at the wlan-router.

Furthermore it helps to look for other radio-emitting (phone, microwave,
ham radio) devices that stand closely to each other (to the wlan
router). Try to place them at least 12,5cm away from each other.

A next good guess would be to look what objects are standing close to
the wlan router, because of reflection, refraction and interference it
is possible that the transmission waves are razed.

Patrick