Billie Erin Walsh wrote:

> I'm just shooting in the dark here, but....................
>
> When you "clone the MAC Address" what are you actually doing?
>
> Our home network is connected to his network through a modem [ and a
> radio transceiver ]. Does the "cloning", for lack of better term, "sync"
> our network to his?  If it does, wouldn't that give you a better [
> faster ] connection?
>
> As I said before, I don't know what it does, but it worked. We have told
> some other friends to do the same thing and it helped them also.

The reason for cloning the MAC is when you change hardware and the modem
or cable network doesn't want to recognize the new MAC.  Unless you're
in such a situation, where other MACs are not recognized, there's no
point in cloning.  The sole purpose of the MAC, is to give the device an
address on the local network, nothing more.  Further, MACs are discarded
and replaced with a new one at every router a packet passes through.
This means that it's impossible for someone further down the internet to
even know what your original MAC was, just by looking at your packets.