On Thursday 25 January 2007 11:42, Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> > Have you played around with tcl/tk yet...?
>
> Tk, yes with Python. Why?
        My question goes back to your desire to program to the right desktop.
Again,
I prefer whenever possible to build apps that are platform independent... and
I prefer tcl/tk (or Java) for that purpose. In other words... instead of
relying on some desktop environment shared library, I think its really better
to rely on a library that works across all environments (maybe even M$). Apps
built with tcl/tk do this quite nicely... even across OS's. If you are using
Python Tk you already know what I mean. The same thing can be accomplished
with Java; although tcl is a much better glue for applications in my
opinion-- easier to merge C / C++ code, and much easier to script
(obviously). Another way of saying this would be focus on the design of the
app and spend less time worrying about where the app will be executing. You
know... write once... debug everywhere.
        Of course this all goes out the window if the app you are working on is
automating the desktop somehow, or relies on desktop environment variables,
and such things as that. You did not specify your field.

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><