On Monday 29 January 2007 13:17, Charles R. Buchanan wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 09:03:45 +0000, Fergus Wilde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> took time to say the following:
>

> (^_^)> Maybe in a few years when I'm 70 will Linux FINALLY be ready for
> prime (^_^)> time! Just think, I haven't even gotten to the HARD parts yet!
> Anyway, I (^_^)> really do appreciate all the help I have gotten on this. I
> need to go lay (^_^)> down, my head is about to freaking explode!
> (^_^)
> (^_^)I find shutdown -h from a root prompt usually does it.
>

> Gonna have to flag your message so I can find it again if that
> time/situation comes up, although I very much doubt I will be fooling
> around with Mandriva anytime soon. Maybe it's their way of making people
> buy the non-free version?

I doubt it - probably just an oversight of sorts. A lot of this is personal
taste and what one is used to, but the fact is that a great deal can be
achieved very quickly from the command line that can take a great deal of
searching out and replicating in a point-and-click environment. I'm a rank
amateur, not a professional, but I have still found that a few minutes
looking at shell commands can save hours of messing about in graphical file
managers etc. If I was denied the use of Linux or other Unices, and had to
buy a commercial OS I would most certainly take Mac OS-X over any of the
Redmond products, though much of the Mac's advantage comes from the fact that
it is firmly based on BSD Unix underneath the graphical hood.

Good luck figuring it all out. Personally I found that the time spent learning
what I needed to know to get all the things I wanted to do under Linux was
time enormously well spent, but we're all different ...
Best
Fergus

--
Fergus Wilde