Am Mittwoch, 14. Februar 2007 18:33 schrieb Dennis J. Tuchler:
> Alexander Osthof wrote:

> >> They were in the relevant directory and I could find no instructions or
> >> advice as to what to load and what not to load.  I knew that one of the
> >> kernel patches had to be installed, but had no idea as to what the
> >> availability of the other kernel variants contributed.  Indeed, I wrote
> >> to a listserv (or was it a newsgroup?) asking just this question, and
> >> received no answer.

> >> The system would not boot on the bigsmp kernel, but selecting it only
> >> caused the computer to reboot back to the system-selection screen
> >
> > Jep, that's right. Since I assume you are running a 32bit system with
> > less than 4GB of RAM you won't need and must not use a bigsmp kernel.
> > Your (installed) kernel-default is the one you want to use.
> >
> > If there are patches you have to apply, then download or install the
> > sources of the kernel-default and apply the required patches on those
> > sources. Then build and install this (modified) kernel.
> >
> > In your case, just deinstall those 2 wrong kernels (bigsmp and xen) by
> > typing
> >
> >     "rpm -e kernel-bigsmp"
> > and
> >     "rpm -e kernel-xen"
> >
> > if you have installed them with rpm or yast.
>
> After installing madwifi using Yast, I got an update message from my in
> Zen icon at the lower right part of the screen (KDE). Delighted that it
> was finally doing something (I had found updates using Yast that weren't
> noted by Zen), I told Zen to go ahead and correct things.  I may have
> complicated matters a mite.  When I did as you suggested, I got error
> messages:
>
> # rpm -e kernel-xen
> error: Failed dependencies:
>          kernel(vmlinux) = 44ebeb27f25f7b59 is needed by (installed)
> madwifi-kmp-xen-0.9.2.1_2.6.18.2_34-0.1.i586
>          kernel(vmlinux) = 93376bd16ab33bbc is needed by (installed)
> madwifi-kmp-xenpae-0.9.2.1_2.6.18.2_34-0.1.i586
>          kernel-xen is needed by (installed)
> madwifi-kmp-xen-0.9.2.1_2.6.18.2_34-0.1.i586
>
> #rpm -e kernel-bigsmp
> error: Failed dependencies:
>          kernel(vmlinux) = bb95ba9d667bafff is needed by (installed)
> madwifi-kmp-bigsmp-0.9.2.1_2.6.18.2_34-0.1.i586
>          kernel(vmlinux) = 93376bd16ab33bbc is needed by (installed)
> madwifi-kmp-xenpae-0.9.2.1_2.6.18.2_34-0.1.i586
>          kernel-bigsmp is needed by (installed)
> madwifi-kmp-bigsmp-0.9.2.1_2.6.18.2_34-0.1.i586
>

> So, do I just leave the tangle as is?

Nope, now I see your problem: You fetched the wrong package of madwifi. Those
you fetched are for xen and bigsmp kernels. Therefore those 2 kernel are in
dependancy with the madwifi package. Thus, deinstall the madwifi packages
first, then the 2 wrong kernels.

What you need is a package for kernel-default (e.g. madwifi &
madwifi-kmp-default). Take a look at the openSUSE 10.2 DVD - if available -
or the online sources of opensuse (download.opensuse.org).

> > If there are any questions left, feel free to ask.
>
> I probably will when I get my new WiFi card and try to install it :|
>

> --
> Best regards,
>
> Dennis J. Tuchler
> 7330 Kingsbury Boulevard
> University City, Missouri 63130

cu :)
--
Alexander Osthof                                R&D SI Architecture Maintenance
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr.5          D-90409 Nürnberg

"Float like a Butterfly, sting like a bee. Your hands can't hit what your eyes
can´t see. Now you see me, now you don't, George thinks he will, but I know
he won’t."
Cassius Marcellus Clay (aka Muhammad Ali)