I've never gotten the kernel one to work.  I think it is
obsolete for what dell is shipping today.  They seem
to switch chipsets weekly.

I have to use ndiswrapper on my dell 9400.

It is not obsolete, the chipset in the inspiron 9400 E1705 if the
broadcom 4311.  The problem I found after quite some snooping is that
it is on the pci express bus and not the standard bus.  The developers
are continuing to work on it but they haven't got there yet.

I agree, I have to use the ndiswrapper and windows driver to get mine to work.

--
John

Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at
http://counter.li.org