On Friday 16 February 2007, David Mayr wrote:
> Hi Evan,
>
> > I want to setup a backup system for a server where the data is backed up
> > to my laptop which connects wirelessly on the network. There should be 1
> > day a week where it does a full backup and the other days just
> > incrementals to a separate directory not affecting the full backup.
>
> I'm using 'reoback' [1] for quite a long time now and I'm very happy with
> it. It makes tarballs with full backups once a week and incremental ones
> the other days. It then can upload the files via ftp to somewhere you
> specify.
>

> [1]  http://reoback.sourceforge.net/

A backup system is measured by its RESTORE capability, not how
fast or easy it actually backs up data.

Backup is almost always scheduled and un-attended.

Restore has everyone standing around waiting while the one
specific file deleted by accident two days ago is searched, and
restored.

When selecting backup software look to how easy it is to recover
ONE specific file and restore it to 1) its original location, and 2) an
alternate new location.

To do this any backup system must support some form of catalog or
index and a means of quickly getting to the specific location in the
backup to extract that file without having to wade through the entire
tape/disk image to find it.

So how does reoback handle that?

--
John Andersen