On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 08:25 -0800, Kai Ponte wrote:
> GIMP - opened just fine.
>
> Krita - opened just fine. That's one bizarre image.
>
> Kwcikshow - crashed
>
> KolourPaint - crashed with segfault - out of graphics memory message
>
> GwenView - crashed with seg 11.
>
> Since I'm bored - or trying to avoid digging through $128,763 in cashier
> reports to find a $473 discrepancy - I copied the file over to my Wintendo
> machine and tried it as well...
>
> MS Paint - Opened just fine
>
> MS Windows Picture and FAx Viewer - Opened just fine
>
> GIMP 2.2 Windows - Opened just fine.
>
> Go figure!

Thanks for this list. And thanks to everybody else for their
contributions. I find this all quite fascinating.

There's obviously a problem with FOSS software that Windows doesn't
suffer from. It's probably related to X - I guess it's a question of
knowing the correct idiom to use with one or other of the X libraries,
since gimp et al handle things correctly. It would be interesting to
know which libraries are used by the failing applications but perhaps
not by gimp, gv and krita. Or maybe it's just a particular way of
calling libraries.

What surprises me is that this bug has apparently been recorded for
nearly a year at a minimum, while it causes several applications to
crash and is easily reproducible. It makes Linux look bad in comparison
to Windows but it hasn't been solved!

A minor aspect that I find interesting is that nobody seems to know of
any technique to validate PNG image files. I'm amazed about that.

BTW, hope you're into your weekend now, as I am here. Chinese New Year
in 27.2 hours!

Cheers, Dave